Thursday, December 11, 2008

Recipe Swap 2008

Thanks to an idea from my wedding photographer/friend Shelby, I've decided to join in with a few of my other friends and post one of my favorite recipes of the holiday season. The first recipe that came to mind was Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies, but I've already shared that one, so the next recipe on my treat list is one that I know Stacie and Avery share my deep love for - the ever original and famous, Chex Mix! I realize this choice seems a bit boring, but I'm telling you - homemade Chex Mix is much more delectable than the store bought stuff. I make this every December and usually share a bit with my family and friends, that's if I don't devour it all myself (eek).

There are obvious variations (I nix the Cheerios) one may make this recipe, but this is how I enjoy it best:

Ingredients:
3 - cups Corn Chex cereal
3 - cups Rice Chex cereal
3 - cups Wheat Chex cereal (these are my favorite part)
1 - cup mixed nuts
1 - cup pretzel sticks (for some reason, the least favorite ingredient)
6 - tablespoons butter
3 - tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
2 - teaspoons seasoned salt (I prefer Lawry's)
1 - teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 - teaspoon onion powder

Directions:

Heat oven to 250°F. In large bowl, mix cereals, nuts, and pretzels; set aside. In an ungreased large foil baking pan, melt butter in oven. Stir in seasonings. Gradually stir in cereal mixture until evenly coated. Bake 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes. I usually add more Worcestershire and Lawry's (on top of the mixture) about half way through the baking time. Store in airtight container.

I have yet to make a batch this year - photo via

As most of you are aware, this recipe is posted on the side or back of most Chex boxes, but I add a little more seasoning. One day, I'll make a a personal batch with only Chex pieces.

4 comments:

Shelby said...

"My wedding photographer" I like the sound of that! Thanks for the recipe!

Stacie said...

Kevin is looking to a few handfuls - better get on that! :)

Coug Gal said...

Erin, this is my fave too! My family calls this "party mix" and it is not the holiday season without it. We made an all wheat chex mix once cause that seems to be everyone's fave, it wasn't good it needs balance from the other ingredients! :)

Blyth Family Blog said...

Yum...how can you do this to a hungry pregnant woman???
I love that Shelby is now your "photographer" :) So cute! I wish we could go back in time and she could do my wedding pics too!